When you finally get the opportunity to remodel your home, it can be thrilling. Updates mean making your space trendy and locking in a ROI so when it is financially feasible, why wouldn’t you take the time to renovate? The question is not if you should take the plunge but where should you start?
Planning is Everything
Before you knock down the first wall, it is important that you create a plan. As you put together this plan and what you hope to accomplish, consider the big picture. At the end of the day, it is important that the space is functional and makes sense. You should also consider the timeline of the project and when you anticipate some of the tasks being completed as certain projects need to be planned around the seasonal weather conditions. Interior renovations can be completed also any time of year, whereas it is best to do roofing, siding, and other exterior projects at the end of spring and beginning of summer. Make sure to include what you want your home to look like when it is all said and done as this will be what you plan your remodel around.
Do Your Research, Especially When You are Unsure
Take the time to research all the things regarding home improvement. It is important that you understand return on investment, potential problems and expenses, selecting materials, and upgrade options available. Having this knowledge and insight will serve you as you move forward.
- ROI and Potential Expenses – Home improvement projects often increase the value of your home and come with a high ROI. Kitchens have remained one of the most popular renovations as they are an excellent investment. Many homeowners believe that the kitchen is the heart of the home and the most important room in the home. Projects like bathroom remodels and updating your outside living space will also provide a solid ROI. Kitchen remodels are popular and can eventually pay for themselves but they also come with the biggest price tag. Research the average cost of a kitchen renovation and compare that to other rooms so that you can determine which spaces you can afford to complete without breaking the bank. Remember that there are many expenses that come along with a remodel, such as flooring, drywall, hardware, appliances, installation and delivery fees, plumbing and electrical work, storage fees, and more. Don’t be afraid to get quotes from multiple professionals. This will help you understand the potential costs so you are not blind sided in the end.
- Materials – Materials can take up a big part of your budget. There are many options available to you which allows you to customize your space to suit your taste. You will have quite a few decisions to make when it comes to materials: do you want granite or quartz countertops? Are your materials sustainable? Hardwoods or vinyl or laminate flooring? The choice is yours. Researching this information will help you make the best choices for your home and help you in creating a plan for the project. It will also help you figure out what you can afford.
- Upgrades – Homeowners are choosing to implement smart technology in their homes. Home automation systems, such as lighting and entertainment systems can make their space more enjoyable and host-worthy. Home security systems provide peace of mind and assurance that your home is safe whether or not you are there. Smart lighting is energy efficient and can save you money. Being able to use your voice to get tasks done makes life easier. Smart technology is always a smart investment. If you have a smart home on your mind, research the technology you want in your home. Prioritize what is most important what you can live without. Using the information you’ve gained while assessing your wants and needs will help you form a solid plan. Your plan should include a complete list of details from material and color choices to upgrades and amenities. A comprehensive plan is beneficial when it comes to setting your budget.
Setting Your Budget
After you have done your research and determined what materials you are going to use, it is time to set your budget. Review your list of wants and needs– this is important. Determining what are must-haves will help you figure out where you can splurge and how you can save. It is easy to desire high-end materials but if your budget doesn’t allow or you would rather complete more projects versus investing all in one, you can try to find similar looking products made of cheaper materials. Take the time to research costs. This helps you develop a clear picture of how much your home remodel will cost when it is completed. It also helps you determine what your budget should be as you figure out how much you are comfortable spending. Remember to set aside some extra money as an emergency fund so that you are prepared should any unexpected expenses occur.
Hire a Professional
Once you have created a plan and set your budget, you will be ready to bring in the professionals to get your project started. While there are some tasks you can tackle yourself, it is better to bring in skilled professionals with the knowledge to get the job done. Jobs that require professionals include but are not limited to…
- Additions and/or large-scale remodels
- Removing harmful or dangerous substances
- Electrical and plumbing projects
- Installing new appliances or smart technology
Appliances, like dishwashers and refrigerators, can require plumbing work. If you want to relocate a major appliance, it is better to have a professional assess the situation and determine the most efficient way to reconfigure your space. This is also the case when it comes to smart home technology. Smart home professionals are trained and knowledgeable. You want to make sure that outlets, wall-mounted speakers, televisions, and touch screen systems have the proper wiring and are placed correctly. Remember to include your smart home professional in your planning process so that your home can accommodate the technology. Don’t hesitate to ask your contractor questions. It is their job to assist you as you work together to get the home you envisioned. Also, don’t be afraid to speak up if something is not going as planned. After all, it is your home and your investment, if you do not like something, say it.
Time to Enjoy Your New Space
Once you have your space complete, it is time to bring in furniture and decor… and enjoy your newly remodeled home. Renovations can be draining and time-consuming but the results are worth the struggles. With planning, research, a budget, and a trusted professional working for you, it won’t be so hard– in fact, it might make you want to do even more.
Contact us (513-560-2195) for more information or a free quote!
About RK Renovations
RK Renovations provides professional and affordable remodeling services to home and business owners in the Greater Cincinnati Area. We have the capabilities and the crew to provide full attention to small and larger projects. We have gained an excellent reputation by going the extra mile for our clients, year in and year out.
> Learn More